It is staggering to think that about 25% of travellers don’t get travel insurance when going abroad. Why some travellers want to take the risk of going overseas without any cover for important needs such as emergency procedures, cancellations, lost baggage is staggering.
It is like having car or home insurance, there is always a minimal chance that you may need to make a claim, but when you do the price is usually through the roof. Probably prices you couldn’t afford to make with your own wallet.
So why take the chance? Travel insurance doesn’t have too cost an arm or a leg and if you do your homework, you can save some real dollars. Sure, you might come back from your trip and fid it was a waste of money, perhaps your first ten trips. That’s a good thing.
But what if the shit was to really hit the fan on the eleventh trip? could you afford the bills? Answer that question first when you thinking about neglecting insurance and then, come to your senses.
Getting the right cover
Now you have wised up and decided to get travel insurance. What is the best cover for you? What is important for you? That is your next decision to make. Remembering basic cover is better than nothing, but it doesn’t cover a heck of a lot and it’s also not a lot of money to upgrade.
I have compiled a list of items that need to be on your travel insurance policy and then ask yourself the question, do I need to add those policies to my insurance?
Keep in mind for this exercise I have not included all the main policies that you’ll get with the basic cover.
- Cancellation cost: Dramas in life do happen, where you could be forced to cancel your trip and you can’t get a refund. Imagine getting a full refund for life’s unexpected dramas.
- Baggage delay: One of the regular problems that can arise when travelling. Why not have it included in your policy, could come in more than handy.
- Travel delay expenses: Mechanical problems for your plane, the original flight has been cancelled and you have been put onto a much later flight. It happens and adding delay expenses will help your hip pocket.
- Curtailment: Unfortunately, when on holidays, life still goes on back home and problems can arise. This policy will make sure you are not out of pocket if an emergency strikes and you need to get home earlier than expected.
- Electronic devices: Mobile phones, cameras, laptop’s, they are all an expensive luxury these days that go on your trip. Lose them, break them or get stolen, you are covered if you add Electronic devices to your policy.
- Valuables: Just like electronic devices you may have personal valuable that are worth a bit of value.
- Passport and documents: Lose your passport is painful enough. Adding this item to your policy will save you a lot of heartache if the most important document you take overseas goes missing.
On a side note. Kids are free with any policy and if you are going on a cruise there is a separate section with most companies that needs to be added.
The importance of travel insurance and whether you should have it or not cannot be ignored. Remember, you are human and you are not immune to life’s little disasters. Travel wise, travel safe and travel with freedom.