Koombana Bay is a summer sensation of Bunbury, Western Australia, it gets families flocking, couples romancing and the dolphins splashing around and putting on a show. Whether they mean to or not. The Bay has what you need as the temperatures starts to heat up. You can take a dip in the calm waters, go sailing, fine dine in style just around the corner or the stunning scenery that s around you.
Perhaps you enjoy the jet-skies or fishing off the boat. Playing beach volley ball on an open beach, while the kids get busy making sandcastles. Your day is covered in the Bay, and when one day is never enough, there is accommodation galore just a stone throw away. But more on that later, let’s get into it.
Where is Koombana Bay?
Koombana Bay is in the heart of the Bunbury town centre. Western Australia’s largest regional town, practically city. It is only less than two hours south of Perth, take the Kwinana Freeway, which eventually turns into the Forrest Highway. Soon enough you will run into Bunbury and the Bay. You won’t miss it.
Dolphin Discovery Centre
Let’s start with dolphins, we all love these mammals of the sea. The Dolphin Discovery Centre is in the heart of the Bay and you have a few choices to pick from.
You can visit the centre, learn, see and feed the different creatures of the sea. Study the dolphin habits and check them swim around in the digital theatre. Perhaps it is a coffee you are up for as you rest up in the café, while the kids play around on the playground. And if you are lucky enough, the dolphins will swim up nearby, which is monitored closely by the friendly volunteer staff on hand at the centre.
The next option is to take a cruise and spot the dolphins up close. Cruises run daily in the summer months and on weekends in winter, click the website for more details. It is a good way at making sure that your visit to Bunbury is complete by checking out the smiling dolphins in the flesh. If you don’t see dolphins, there is a money back condition.
Can you swim with dolphins? If that is your thing, you are all set. From October to April, there are daily cruises that leave early in the morning. Bring your bathers, snorkels and a towel and be ready to swim with the dolphins. It does cost a bit, so once again check out the website for details.
It is the most popular swimming beach in Bunbury, especially for families and for good reason. Being in the bay the waters are calm. It is perfect for kids to swim, under constant supervision of course, without fear of getting knocked out by a wave.
In the background, there are yachts anchored in the bay, all parked up and ready for sail. The boats are out for a day in the water as adrenalin enthusiasts get their tubes out and go for a spin off the back. While kayakers are out minding their own business and taking advantage of the, most times, excellent conditions. Just be careful of jet-skiers.
Then there are the sandy beaches, it runs for miles. It is perfect for a game of beach cricket or volleyball. The kids are out in their numbers running amok in the sand, building castles and having fun as kids should. It is a perfect spot to get out a picnic lunch and a bottle of wine and enjoy the scenery around you, even better at sunset. Either that, or you can buy a hamburgers and chips at the kiosk nearby.
No need to get into the car. The Bunbury Waterfront is only a quick five-minute walk from the Bay. Once you get there, you are suddenly hit with a little Bunbury style and it is simply breathtaking.
There are apartments, hotels, cafes and restaurants, even a candy and ice-cream shop. The best part is, that it is situated right on the edge of the Koombana Bay as you overlook the stunning bay, which is full of activity and life as you dine in style with a gorgeous view.
It is perfect for lunch and even better at night, when the night clubs open and the place really livens up. Let’s take a look at some of the restaurants clubs available at the Waterfront.
- Mash Brewery – Great food and even better beer. The Mash won’t let you own. Perfect for a date or a drink with friends.
- Dome Café – Open from dawn to dusk, great for coffee and bite to eat. A great place to catch up on some gossip and a little downtime.
- Taffy’s – It is not a restaurant but it will be the kids favourite place. This candy and ice-cream shop will liven up your kids as they gaze at all the candy, chocolate and fudge available. They can even watch the friendly staff make their famous salt-water taffy in the viewing area.
- The Bayview Bar – A restaurant during the day, a bar every other time and a popular night spot in the evening. You get the best of both worlds at the Bayview Bar. It certainly is the pick of clubs in Bunbury.
- Aristos – The best seafood shop, hands down in Bunbury, perhaps one of the best in the state. You will love feasting on the different range of seafood with a glass of white of wine as you hock into the chips.
- Mesa by Casellas – The perfect fine dining, grill and tapas experience. If it is a quiet evening you are looking for Mesa is right for you. It is perfect for couples seeking a romantic night together, away from buzz of the previous restaurants mentioned.
There is a selection of accommodation available in and around the Koombana Bay and Waterfront Area. Anything from hotels, apartments, caravans and tents.
Whatever you are looking for you are bound to find it. But let’s narrow it down a little bit.
- Discovery Holiday park – Across the road from the Koombana Bay Beach, The Discovery Holiday Park is perfect for families. It has a selection of Villas, cabins and Caravans and tent sites on offer and is the most affordable accommodation in the area.
- Quest Bunbury – Luxury apartments that comes with room service and stunning views. You will love putting your feet up and resting in style at The Quest.
- Mantra Bunbury – The most glamorous of the lot, with serviced rooms, restaurant and a bar. It is the closest hotel to the popular Waterfront area. It is perfect if you plan on having a night out on the drink.
For more hotels in Bunbury, checkout TripAdvisor
There you have it. A run down on Koombana Bay at the Waterfront. If you are even in the vicinity of Bunbury this summer, come on down. There is plenty of activities, swimming and dining to be done and it may even surprise you, that a town like Bunbury can deliver so much value and entertainment.